Conor McGregor announces third retirement, Mayweather teases him out of it

Conor McGregor announces third retirement, Mayweather teases him out of it

UFC champ Conor McGregor has yet again announced its retirement from his line of sports. Media outlets have highlighted that this would be pro fighter’s third attempt to enter retirement.

On Sunday, mixed martial arts fighter, Conor McGregor, announced hanging up the gloves in the professional sports scene on Twitter.

His social media announcement came with a photo of him and his mother, Margaret, during one of his victorious wins, as he also paid tribute to her, saying, “Pick the home of your dreams Mags I love you!”

McGregor’s third attempt to retire

Express UK notes that Conor McGregor had previously proclaimed his retirement, first, in 2016, and then, in 2019.

In his 2016 exit announcement, CNN quotes McGregor, saying, “I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya’s later.” The abrupt note leave was reportedly followed by a loss in a second-round submission non-title match to American professional mixed martial artist Nate Diaz, in March.

After McGregor’s 2019 supposed exit, on the other hand, he went on to battle Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in Las Vegas, Nevada, 15 months after his supposed retirement.

He told CNN in a previous interview that it is in the McGregor blood to fight. His statement reads:

“The McGregor name is historic when it comes to combat. Way back, study my family’s name, study my family’s heritage. We were a feared clan. At one stage, it was punishable by death to have the surname McGregor. It’s in my blood to fight — and that’s it. It’s what my ancestors have been doing long before me.”

Floyd Mayweather teases McGregor out of retirement

Meanwhile, boxing champion, Floyd Mayweather will not accept McGregor—aka The Notorious—leaving the professional fighting scene just yet. Recently, the Irish fighter posted on Instagram of a cake with an icing writing that says, “Happy Retirement Daddy.”

View this post on Instagram

❤️

A post shared by Conor McGregor Official (@thenotoriousmma) on

However, the celebratory post was crashed by Mayweather after commenting, per Essentially Sports, “If I’m not mistaken, didn’t you tell Mike Tyson you could beat me if we fought a second time? Now you’re quitting! I thought you wanted to beat the best? Well, if you decide to come back, I will be waiting to punish you again.”

As many of his fans remember, Floyd and McGregor fought in 2017 for a crossover fight match that lasted 10 rounds, before The Notorious eventually lost to Mayweather by TKO.

Should McGregor push through with the retirement, he will be leaving the professional sports arena ranking on 8th on the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Champion) pound-for-pound record.

 

Featured image courtesy of Andrius Petrucenia/Flickr

Micky is a news site and does not provide trading, investing, or other financial advice. By using this website, you affirm that you have read and agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions.
Micky readers - you can get a 10% discount on trading fees on FTX and Binance when you sign up using the links above.