COVID-19 Vaccine: Johnson and Johnson trials halted

On Monday, October 12, Johnson & Johnson declared that it had temporarily suspended the trial of its COVID-19 vaccine after one of its participants fell ill.

The judgment made by the US-based company means that it has terminated the online enrollment system for the 60,000-patient clinical trial for COVID-19. Consequently, they will now collect an independent patient safety council.

The official statement by the company

“We have temporarily halted further dosing in all our Covid-19 vaccine applicant clinical examinations. This halt includes the Phase 3 ENSEMBLE test. Conclusively, the decision is made due to an unexplained sickness in a study participant,” the company said in a statement.

“We must heed this participant’s privacy. We’re also uncovering more about this participant’s illness. Thus, it’s vital to have all the facts before we share supplementary information,” added the statement.

This month, the US company released a statement for securing alleged funds to initiate vaccine trials by the European Union. Like many trials going around, the world has seen to be met with its own set of complications.

Conclusively, the US-based company’s decision means that it has closed the online enrollment system for the 60,000-patient clinical trial.

Thereby, the company will now convene an independent patient safety committee.

WHO on COVID-19 vaccine

Meanwhile, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is the World Health Organization’s (WHO) Director-General. He said that the world could not just wait for the COVID-19 vaccine and save lives with hand tools. Consequently, the WHO chief made the remarks while addressing the Regional Committee of the WHO Eastern Mediterranean.

“Through the way to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator and the COVAX Facility, we’re striving to ensure that if and when a vaccine is to be safe and effective, it will be available equitably for all countries in your region. But we cannot just anticipate for a vaccine. We must preserve lives with the tools we have at hand,” Tedros said.

WHO on encountering COVID-19

“It’s hard to believe that when this Committee assembled a year ago, COVID-19 was still quite unknown to us. How the world has changed,” Tedros reflects.

While briefing the media, the WHO Chief declared that each of the last four days had been the largest number of cases recorded so far. Many cities and countries are also recording an increment in hospitalizations and intensive care bed occupancy.

Conclusively, with how the world is still battling, this new challenge is quite remarkable in its way. After all, in the battle against time and lives, there might never be any win whatsoever.

Image courtesy of Manuel Esteban/Shutterstock

Micky is a news site and does not provide trading, investing, or other financial advice. By using this website, you affirm that you have read and agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions.
Micky readers - you can get a 10% discount on trading fees on FTX and Binance when you sign up using the links above.