Dave Chappelle tests positive for COVID-19; postpones remaining Texas shows

Dave Chappelle

Dave Chappelle became the latest star to contract the COVID-19 virus.

The coronavirus pandemic continues to affect the music and film industry, and Dave Chappelle recently caught the virus while on tour.

A representative for Chappelle confirmed the news to TMZ. Currently, the comedian is spending time in quarantine but fortunately has not experienced any symptoms yet.

Before his recent diagnosis, he was still able to perform in five of his shows in Austin, Texas, from Wednesday until Sunday night.

Upon confirming that he caught the virus, he canceled the remaining shows — two of which included Joe Rogan.

“Chappelle has safely conducted socially-distanced shows in Ohio since June 2020, and he moved those shows to Austin during the winter,” his representative said in a statement, per Deadline. “Chappelle implemented COVID-19 protocols, which included rapid testing for the audience and daily testing for himself and his team.

It remains unknown how he got the virus. However, it is worth noting that earlier this week, the public spotted him and Rogan with Elon Musk and Grimes at Stubb’s Amphitheater.

Dave Chappelle faced unfortunate events

The past few months became the unluckiest ones for Chappelle.

In November 2020, the 47-year-old personality recorded a video of him begging his fans not to watch his show, Chappelle’s Show, on Netflix.

“I’m begging you. If you ever liked me,” he said in a video on Instagram. “Boycott Chappelle’s Show. Do not watch it unless they pay me.”

He then called out the original network of his show, Comedy Central.

The network aired Chappelle’s Show from 2003 to 2006.

According to Chappelle, the company granted Netflix and HBO Max licenses of the show without paying him or letting him know about the deal.

He also outed Comedy Central’s trick that allows the company to continue earning from his show.

“That’s why I f*** with Netflix, because they pay me my money, they do what they say they’re gonna do,” he went on. “And they went above and beyond what you could expect from a businessman.”

It is also worth noting that he let go of the $50 million deal in 2005 by leaving the show before finishing the third season.

Chappelle got the multi-million deal after serving as the series’ creator, executive producer, and main star.

Meanwhile, as a response, a Netflix spokesperson revealed that they removed the show from the streaming giant.

The company also claimed that they paid Chappelle $60 million for five stang-up specials back in 2016.

Featured image courtesy of John Bauld from Toronto, Canada, CC BY 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Micky is a news site and does not provide trading, investing, or other financial advice. By using this website, you affirm that you have read and agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions.
Micky readers - you can get a 10% discount on trading fees on FTX and Binance when you sign up using the links above.