Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden’s upcoming presidential debate has been canceled.
Donald Trump and Joe Biden are set to face each other for the second round of presidential debate on Oct. 15. But that’s not happening anymore because the debate has been canceled, the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) said late Friday.
Donald Trump, Joe Biden second presidential debate
CPD announced earlier that the debate will be in a virtual format instead of live. Donald Trump will be answering from the White House and Biden from a location of his choice.
The second presidential debate would be a town hall format and C-SPAN anchor Steve Scully will be the moderator. However, after the CPD announced the new format, Trump decided that he would not participate. Following Trump’s decision, future debates remain uncertain if they will still happen or not.
“It is now apparent there will be no debate on October 15, and the CPD will turn its attention to preparations for the final presidential debate scheduled for October 22,” the CPD said on Friday per The Hollywood Reporter.
Trump still wants a debate
Donald Trump’s campaign spokesperson Tim Murtaugh said in a statement that the president still wants a divorce. They suggested a final debate on Oct. 29.
“It’s time for the biased commission to stop protecting Biden and preventing voters from hearing from the two candidates for president,” Murtaugh said.
“There’s nothing that says that President Trump and Joe Biden can’t debate together without the overlords at the commission having a say in the matter. We would be glad to debate one-on-one without the commission’s interference.”
Biden not surprised with Trump’s decision
Joe Biden’s campaign spokesperson Andrew Bates said in a statement they were not surprised with Donald Trump ducking the debate where voters could ask questions. He added that Trump likes to bully reporters but doesn’t have to guts to answer for his record to voters.
Last week, Trump announced that he and Melania Trump tested positive for coronavirus. The announcement received mixed responses from the netizens with many accusing Trump of faking the disease to dodge the upcoming presidential debate.
POTUS slammed for calling positive COVID-test a blessing
Meanwhile, Donald Trump recently said that catching COVID-19 was a blessing in disguise. The POTUS explained that due to his condition he was able to experience the wonder of Regeneron.
The president is showing no signs of symptoms and is feeling great. He believed it was due to Regeneron. But many took offense to his statement, especially that over 200,000 Americans died due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Image used courtesy of Michael Candelori/Shutterstock