Marvel makes a surprise announcement that Marvel’s Storyboards are arriving on the YouTube platform this week, and it is reportedly offered for free.
Marvel broke the news on its official website, with an introduction, “As a surprise for Marvel fans everywhere[…]”. The announcement was echoed by Disney as well; however, it came with the news that it wouldn’t be airing on Disney+ anymore.
Marvel’s Storyboards centers the legendary storytellers
Accordingly, as the title of the docuseries hints, the online series will focus on those who created the renowned Marvel stories that fans have come to love.
Fans will be following Joe Quesada, the EVP and Creative Director of Marvel Entertainment, as he gives everyone a behind-the-curtain experience. Quesada will be seen exploring “the origin stories and inspirations of storytellers of all mediums, backgrounds, and experiences at their favorite spots throughout New York City and beyond.”
In the two six-episode seasons, Quesada will be speaking with the following:
- Bobby Lopez – An award-winning songwriter. Known for his works in Frozen and Avenue Q.
- Hugh Jack – The actor who gave fame to the Wolverine character.
- Margaret Stohl – The writer of The Life of Captain Marvel
- Natalia Cordova-Buckley – Known for her role as Elena “Yo-Yo” Rodriguez in Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
— Marvel Entertainment (@Marvel) July 20, 2020
Gamespot also noted that Storyboards would also cover “people who fit a less traditional definition of the ‘storyteller’ term.” Which are:
- Former Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir;
- Sasheer Zamata from Saturday Night Live (SNL);
- High-altitude mountaineer Ed Viesturs;
- American actor in theater, film, and television Christian Borle, who is best known for his roles in Something Rotten and Smash;
- Executive Editor of Teen Vogue, Samhita Mukhopadhyay;
- Former MLB pitcher and analyst for the New York Mets, Nelson Figueroa;
- American actress Gillian MacLaren Jacobs, who is best known for her role as Britta Perry on Community and as Micky Dobbs on the Netflix rom-com series Love;
- and Taboo from Black Eyed Peas.
The YouTube docuseries will air on Thursday, July 23.
gillian with joe quesada on marvel’s storyboards preview pic.twitter.com/CFQvLIZNGf
— best of gillian jacobs (@gillianlovebot) July 21, 2020
Marvel boss talks about being a storyteller
Marvel’s Storyboards is set to portray the different face of a storyteller. As Quesada said in a statement:
“Whether you choose to speak through your words or through your actions, we are all storytellers with something to share. Marvel’s Storyboards captures that spirit and drive behind some of the most incredible voices across film, television, music, theater, sports, journalism, and beyond. With all of us now spending so much more time at home, we felt it was more important than ever to make these inspirational stories accessible to as many people as possible and share them with the world.”
The first episode will air with Hugh Jackman setting the mood for the whole docuseries. Catch it on Marvel’s official YouTube channel and on its respective website.