Meghan Markle biography allowed by High Court to be used against her

Meghan Markle

Meghan Markle has suffered another setback in her legal case against British tabloid publisher Associated Newspapers.

Meghan Markle sued the British tabloid after publishing private letters she wrote for her dad in 2018.

The 39-year-old claims that Mail on Sunday and MailOnline misused her private information.

On Tuesday’s High Court hearing, a judge ruled in the publisher’s favor over the contents of Prince Harry and Meghan’s biography, “Finding Freedom.”

Deadline reported that during the preliminary hearing last week, the publisher applied for permission to amend its case.

They argued that Queen Elizabeth II’s grandson and his wife cooperated in the biography published in August.

Associated Newspapers argued that Meghan gave the authors, Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand, information about her handwritten letter. 

The publisher alleged Meghan “set out her own version of events in a way that is favorable to her.”

This has weakened her privacy claim further.

A conspiracy theory

Meanwhile, the Duchess’ lawyers stated that the accusations about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle with the Scobie and Durand are part of a conspiracy theory.

Justin Rushbrooke said, “The claimant and her husband did not collaborate with the authors on the book, nor were they interviewed for it, nor did they provide photographs to the authors for the book.”

They added that any references to the letter in the biography were just “extracts from the letter,” taken from the articles published by Mail on Sunday and MailOnline.

One of the book’s authors, Omid Scobie, said in his witness statement that the couple didn’t authorize the book and didn’t interview them for it.

Rushbrooke asked for permission to appeal the judge’s ruling, and she approved it.

The judge’s ruling

Master Francesca Kaye claimed that Rushbrooke and Scobie’s statements provided a “knockout blow.”

Meghan Markle will have to face Associated Newspapers on Jan. 11, 2021, the trial’s first day.

The trial will last between seven and ten days.

The decision ruled on Tuesday was the second setback for Meghan Markle. In May, the judge rejected part of her claim that the tabloids acted dishonesty.

Meanwhile, the mom-of-one was able to get herself a win in the preliminary hearing.

Meghan won the bid to protect the friends’ identities in the court hearing. Five of her friends anonymously gave interviews to People Magazine in February 2019 to defend her.

The Duchess of Sussex’s legal fees may reach up to $2.3 million (or AUD$3.1 million).

In the last twelve months, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle filed several lawsuits in a bid to maintain their privacy. This included one paparazzi photo of their son Archie, taken in Los Angeles.

Image courtesy of Genevievederivative / Creative Commons

Micky is a news site and does not provide trading, investing, or other financial advice. By using this website, you affirm that you have read and agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions.
Micky readers - you can get a 10% discount on trading fees on FTX and Binance when you sign up using the links above.