Academy award winner Parasite won big in the recently held online Asian Film Awards. Due to the pandemic, it was organized virtually.
According to Deadline, Parasite won Best Film and Best Screenplay for co-writers Han Jin Won and director Bong Joon Ho.
The movie also won Best Production Design and Best Editing honors.
In collaboration with Busan, Tokyo, and Hong Kong film festivals, AFA Academy organized the 14th Asian Film Awards. The entire event was broadcast online through AFAA and Busan film festival’s YouTube channels and websites.
Parasite triumphs in the Asian Film Awards
The South Korean film swayed the major categories but other titles shined as well in the online event. 37 Seconds‘ Hikari won the Best Director award, supposed to go to Parasite‘s Bong Joon Ho.
On the other hand, Zhou Dongyu won the Best Actress award for her role in Better Days. The movie was also a blockbuster, introducing actor Jackson Yee. He also won in the Best Newcomer category.
Here’s the list of all the winners of the Asian Film Awards:
- Best Film: Parasite (Korea)
- Director: WANG Xiaoshuai for So Long, My Son (China)
- New Director: HIKARI for 37 Seconds (Japan)
- Best Actor: Lee Byung-hun in The Man Standing Next (Korea)
- Best Actress: ZHOU Dongyu in Better Days (Hong Kong, China)
- Supporting Actor: Ryo KASE into the Ends of the Earth (Japan, Uzbekistan, Qatar)
- Best Supporting Actress: Samantha Ko in A-Sun (Taiwan)
- Newcomer: Jackson Yee in Better Days (Hong Kong, China)
- Screenplay: BONG Joon-ho and HAN Jin-won for Parasite (Korea)
- Editing: YANG Jin-mo for Parasite (Korea)
- Best Cinematography: DONG Jinsong for The Wild Goose Lake (China, France)
- Original Music: Karsh KALE and The Salvage Audio Collective for Gully Boy (India)
- Best Costume Design: Pacharin SURAWATANAPONGS for Happy Old Year (Thailand)
- Production Design: LEE Ha Jun for Parasite (Korea)
- Visual Effects: Tomi KUO and Renovatio Pictures for Detention (Taiwan)
- Best Sound: KUREISHI Yoshifumi for Listen to the Universe (Japan)
Impact of the COVID-19 on upcoming awards
The pandemic on Asian Film Awards and how it was done proves that the situation is worse now. The impact is making it difficult for the Entertainment industry to move smoothly.
Big and anticipated award functions and ceremonies are yet to arrive later in 2020 and early next year. BAFTA, Golden Globes, and most importantly, the Oscars will surely face the wrath of the crisis.
Coming back to South Korea’s expectations in the Academy Awards, The Man Standing Next will try to repeat Parasite’s 2019 history. The former is only the second-ever entry from the country so far.
Image courtesy of IGN/YouTube Screenshot