Portland shooting suspect killed by law enforcement during arrest

The suspect for the Portland shooting was reportedly shot and killed during an attempt to arrest him in Lacey, Washington.

The Portland shooting happened last weekend when Pro-Trump supporters and protesters got into a clash. More information about the incident came into light when the shooter himself approached a freelance journalist.

Furthermore, freelance journalist Donovan Farley reportedly shared the conversation with media outlet Vice News.

48-year-old Michael Forest Reinoehl aired out his side of the story. And on the same day of the interview, an arrest warrant was issued, per The New York Times.

Portland shooting suspect killed in encounter

According to The New York Times, Reinoehl was shot by the members of the federal fugitive task force in Washington. It happened in a residential street in Lacy, where townhomes and single-family homes were lined.

An apartment complex was “was blocked off by sheriff’s tape and law enforcement vehicles,” per the publication.

A witness narrated hearing several shots fired before looking out to the window. He “as many as four police officers in the road, who fired three or four times.”

The said witness also confirms seeing Reinoehl on the ground. According to Lt. Ray Brady of the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office, a team was on the lookout for a “homicide suspect,” not specifically identifying Reinoehl.

Several reports confirm that the suspect was seen exiting an apartment and got into a vehicle. Per Lieutenant Brady, the attempt to arrest Reinoehl resulted in gunfire.

USA Today further highlights that “Reinoehl had pulled a gun during the encounter.” He then shot by law enforcement. However, it should be noted that Lieutenant Brady “did not immediately know whether the suspect fired a weapon.”

Reinoehl admitted acting in self-defense

Per Vice News, Reinoehl confessed to shooting the right-wing “Patriot Prayer” group member, Aaron Danielson, also known as Jay Bishop. He expressed that he did as an act of self-defense.

“I had no choice. I mean, I, I had a choice. I could have sat there and watched them kill a friend of mine of color. But I wasn’t going to do that,” says Reinoehl.

Despite being advised against, most especially from lawyers, Reinoehl believed it was important to share his side of the story. According to him, there were armed pro-Trump protesters that night. Highlighting that the people in the truck were carrying “not just paintball guns.”

Reinoehl further narrated that he and another protester was threatened with a knife. “Had I stepped forward, he would have maced or stabbed me,” he said.

According to Vice News, Reinoehl expressed that he didn’t turn himself in because he believed that the “right-wing protesters were collaborating with police.”


Featured image courtesy of Tana888/Shutterstock

Micky is a news site and does not provide trading, investing, or other financial advice. By using this website, you affirm that you have read and agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions.
Micky readers - you can get a 10% discount on trading fees on FTX and Binance when you sign up using the links above.