Queen Elizabeth “could not do it” without Prince Philip, Prince Harry said back in 2012.
Prince Harry and Prince Philip share similar interests in the military and environment. This is why many experts believe that the two royals have a close relationship.
The dynamic of their links became much more apparent when the Duke of Sussex revealed a shocking thing about his grandparents’ marriage. The Daily Express reported that he once gave an “eye-opening comment” about them.
Prince Harry and his shocking comment
In an unearthed 2012 interview, Prince Harry shared a few words about Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth to mark the latter’s Diamond Jubilee. He claimed that the British Monarch would not have made such a success in her reign if not for her husband’s support.
The royal-born Prince stated that his grandmother could not likely “do it without” the Prince Consort by her side. He noted that this is regardless of whether the Duke of Edinburgh appeared to be “doing his own thing.”
He continued that his grandfather may seem “sort of wandering off like a fish down the river” in previous times. But, “the fact that he is there,” Prince Harry emphasized that this played a significant role in the Queen’s reign.
View this post on Instagram
Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth’s marriage
History Extra recalled that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip first met in 1934. At that time, though, they were only eight and 13 years old, respectively.
Their paths crossed again five years later when the Windsors visited the Royal Naval College in Dartmouth. The young princess was 13, and the then-Prince of Greece, and Denmark was 18, and they began to exchange letters after.
In 1947, the pair tied the knot at Westminster Abbey. They have since stayed together and celebrated several relationship milestones, including having the longest marriage of any British Sovereign.
Worries over the Duke of Edinburgh’s health
The unearthing of the Duke of Sussex’s claims comes amid the increasing worries over Prince Philip’s health. Earlier this week, BBC reported that the King Edward VII Hospital in central London admitted the Prince Consort in accordance with his doctor’s advice.
Sources claimed that “he had been feeling unwell for a few days,” noting, however, that it was not related to COVID-19. He was also reportedly “in good spirits” but, he will remain in the hospital for further observation and rest.
Other insiders alleged, though, that the worries recently “heightened” up when Prince Charles visited his father on Saturday. Reports said that the hospital only allows this during “exceptional circumstances.” Moreover, there are informants, as well, who claimed that Prince Harry has already started self-isolating in his U.S. mansion in case “he needs to travel to the U.K. on short notice.”
Featured Image courtesy of The Royal Family/YouTube