It’s official! The Galaxy S20 will get Android 11 first, as Samsung commits to 3 years of updates for these phones.
At Samsung’s Unpacked event earlier this month, the Korean tech giant showed off half a dozen new products. These devices include the Samsung Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy Tab S7, Galaxy Buds Live, Galaxy Watch 3, and the upcoming Galaxy Z Fold2. Nothing about Android 11 or any other operating system.
However, hidden in all the product announcements, Samsung committed to its customers to provide updates to its Galaxy lineup for three generations. And now, it is official! Samsung Galaxy S20 will first get the Android 11 compared to other released gadgets.
List of Samsung Devices
As per PCMag, Samsung went online to clarify its commitment. The tech giant will offer three generations of Android upgrades for most of its Galaxy flagship, as well as a mid-range lineup. The list of supported devices includes all Samsung Galaxy S20 and Note 20 devices. All Galaxy Foldables are also included and future products in the series.
Last year’s Tab S6 and the forthcoming Galaxy Tab S7, along with future Tab S products, are also on the list. Even a handful of its Galaxy A-series smartphones and select upcoming A-series devices will make the cut.
Here’s the full list of Samsung phones and tablets that will get three Android OS updates:
- Galaxy S series: Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, S20 Ultra, S20+ 5G, S20+, S20 5G, S20 in addition to S10 5G, S10+, S10, S10e, S10 Lite and upcoming S series devices.
- Galaxy Note series: Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 5G, Note20, Note10+ 5G, Note10+, Note10 5G, Note10, Note10 Lite and upcoming Note series devices.
- Galaxy Foldable devices: Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, Z Fold2, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip, Fold 5G, Fold and upcoming Z series devices.
- Galaxy A series: Galaxy A71 5G, A71, A51 5G, A51, A90 5G and select upcoming A series devices.
- Tablets: Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Tab S7+, Tab S7 5G3, Tab S7, Tab S6 5G4, Tab S6, Tab S6 Lite and upcoming Tab S series devices.
Samsung Confirms Galaxy S20 Will Get Android 11 First
It’s been some time since Google propelled the Android 11 open beta, permitting Google Pixel clients to help test and get an early see of the progressions that are incorporated.
As promised, the Galaxy S20, S20+ and S20 Ultra will get the Android 11 update first, and the update rollout will start as soon as this year. The operating system upgrade will take place right after Google releases the Android 11 source code to manufacturers.
The Galaxy S10, S10+, Note 10+, Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra will surely be next in line for Android 11 updates, as Samsung says “other devices to follow shortly thereafter.”
Images used courtesy of The Verge/YouTube Screenshot.