President Donald Trump did a drive-by photo during his supposed quarantine period after contracting COVID-19. The stunt reportedly alarmed health experts.
The current POTUS Trump staged what CNN calls an “extraordinary drive-by photo-op” on Sunday outside Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. The stunt reportedly served “to dispel any perception of weakness.”
However, experts and the public grew concerned as the president allegedly risks exposing the Secret Service agents who escorted him inside the armored SUV. With only less than 30 days away before the election season, Trump must be missing scheduled rally sites for his campaign.
Per The New York Times, the president made an “unannounced exit” from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center early Sunday evening. As seen in videos, he rode past supporters with Trump flags in hand.
He promoted his “surprise visit” on Twitter via video, saying:
“We’re getting great reports from the doctors. This is an incredible hospital—Walter Reed. The work they do is just absolutely amazing and I want to thank them all; The nurses, the doctors—everybody here. I’ve also gotten to meet some of the soldiers, and the first responders—what a group.
I also think we’re going to pay a little surprise to some of the great patriots that we have out on the street. And they’ve been out there for a long time, and they’ve got Trump flags. They love our country so I’m not telling anybody but you, but I’m about to make a little surprise visit. So, perhaps I’ll get there before you get to see me.”
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 4, 2020
In his one-minute video, he spoke of his “interesting journey as well. Saying he’s “learned a lot about COVID.”
“I learned a lot about Covid. I learned it by really going to school. This is the real school. This isn’t the let’s-read-the-books school. And I get it. And I understand it. And it’s a very interesting thing and I’m going to be letting you know about it,” says Trump.
However, despite sounding enthusiastic. Experts have reportedly frowned on the president’s “surprise” stunt. The usual process that has been accustomed to when someone acquires the coronavirus is to isolate or quarantine them from other people.
Per The New York Times, medical experts believe that the president’s action was “reckless.” He has put “both hospital staff members and Secret Service agents at risk.”
There were also points taken from his Twitter video saying he met soldiers while supposedly in medical isolation. On Twitter, Walter Reed attending physician Dr. James P. Phillips took it to Twitter to express his dissent on Trump’s drive-by stunt.
“They might get sick. They may die. For political theater. Commanded by Trump to put their lives at risk for theater. This is insanity,” says Dr. Philips.
White House spokesman defended the “drive-by” stunt saying precautions were executed and that the “movement was cleared by the medical team as safe to do.”
White House aide tests positive
As previously reported by numerous publications, White House staffers within close proximity to the president have been informed of his results. CNN now reports that one aide has also tested positive for COVID-19.
Nicholas Luna is a personal assistant to the president and as one of his “body men.” He reportedly accompanies the president “throughout the day and night.”
Two administration officials have reportedly spoken in anonymity about the president’s “undisclosed positive result from a rapid test on Thursday evening.”
This information becomes material to the chain of events because this positive rapid test result was not revealed during his guesting in Sean Hannity’s Fox News show.
When asked, The New York Times noted that the president said he was “still waiting for results.”
There have been concerns looming the actual condition of the President. Publications have reportedly been getting vague details as to when Trump actually contracted the COVID-19.
In fact, the hashtag #25thAmmendmentNow continues to trend on Twitter.
Featured image courtesy of Gage Skidmore/Flickr