YouTube Originals will debut new shows that will not only entertain audiences across the globe but also educate them and offer some comfort amid the coronavirus pandemic.
According to the announcement posted by YouTube on its official blog, it is currently busy preparing a number of fresh star-studded projects featuring the likes of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Karlie Kloss, and Ken Jeong, just to name a few.
YouTube also took the opportunity to share the announcement through its official Twitter page, while giving viewers some teaser information on which celebrities will make an appearance in the upcoming shows.
11 new shows to look forward to
YouTube will be launching a total of 11 new YouTube Originals content over the next few weeks.
It bears to note that all of the original programs will be made accessible to families everywhere, free of charge (but with ads).
And as pointed out by Susan Wojcicki, the CEO of YouTube, the new content will try to strike a healthy balance of entertainment, humor, and education.
As for current subscribers of YouTube Premium, they will be able to access the same shows sans ads, as well as exclusive content for a select number of programs.
Here is the list of new YouTube Originals viewers can expect to access in the weeks or months to come:
- Money Talks: Taxes (already showing). How does one go about filing taxes? And what’s the deal with the coronavirus stimulus check? A team of female financial experts provides some answers and additional insights with regard to managing personal finances in this Learning Playlist produced by Refinery29.
- The Creator Games Presented by MrBeast (premiering on April 25 at 6:00 P.M. E.T.). Starting this weekend, MrBeast will dare other YouTube stars to beat him at various stay-at-home games. The show will also urge audiences to donate to various coronavirus-battling organizations.
- Stay Home With: YUNGBLUD (premiering on April 27). Join singer-songwriter YUNGBLUD as he navigates through an entire month inside his L.A. apartment, alongside his manager, a couple of bandmates, and a videographer. The show will also encourage viewers to donate to the No Kid Hungry organization.
- #MoveWithMe (a global dance event premiering on April 29). To celebrate the upcoming International Dance Day, dance maven Matt Steffanina will host a worldwide dance party, together with some of the best choreographers and dancers on the face of the Earth. The show will promote donations for the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund for the World Health Organization.
- Stream #WithMe (UK) (premiering on April 30). An all-star squad of YouTube celebrities and creators will provide tips on how to keep sane while in lockdown. The show will encourage people to donate to the NHS Charities Together group.
- Celebrity Substitute (premiering on May 7). Can celebrities become substitute teachers? Find out as stars like Karlie Kloss, Ken Jeong, Bill Nye, Camila Mendes, Janelle Monae, and the incomparable Terry Crews (because why not) try to fill in as online mentors.
- The Secret Life of Lele Pons (premiering on May 19). Through five parts, discover how YouTube star Lele Pons deals with her OCD and Tourette Syndrome, while also building her music career.
- BookTube – Read with Me Special and Mental Health Episode (premiering on May 21 and in June). Best-selling authors like John Grisham, Nicholas Sparks, and James Patterson, among many others, will talk about the books they love most in the Read with Me Special, while the Mental Health Episode will tackle the subject of anxiety and mental health, and at the same time, offer tips for self-care amid the pandemic.
- Create Together #WithMe (premiering in May). Jonathan Gordon-Levitt hosts this limited series, which aims to highlight the creative process, as well as show how remote collaboration can forge even stronger connections among family members, friends, and peers.
- Locked Down (premiering in May). This thrilling series is shot entirely using a smartphone and a webcam, and a group of teenagers trying to solve a mystery, while also coping with the coronavirus outbreak.
- Untitled Juanpa and Luisito Project (premiering in May). YouTube stars Juanpa Zurita and Luisito Communica team up to chronicle what it is like to undergo quarantine protocols, while finding some solidarity with fellow YouTube creators.
Also already on YouTube
Students who are looking for additional resources can check out the new features that Google has added on YouTube just days ago.
As for those looking for authoritative and useful information about COVID-19, they might be delighted to know that YouTube now has a special section on its homepage that has them covered.
Featured image courtesy of NordWood Themes/Unsplash